Welcome to the 1st Annual International Quit Soda Day, 10/20/2017.
International Quit Soda Day, IQSD, is a day to focus our collective energy on decreasing worldwide consumption of soda and sugary drinks. If we reduce consumption of sugary drinks, we will reverse the escalating rates of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and tooth decay that afflict our communities.
We can harness our collective energy to:
1) Challenge friends, family, and neighbors to give up soda and sugary drinks on this global quit date.
2) Challenge hospital administrators, school officials, and community leaders to phase out sugary drinks at their respective institutions. You can find a downloadable sample letter reaching out to administrators in our digital toolkit.
3) Challenge local, state, federal, and global health policy leaders to make clear and strong public announcements about the connection between sugary drinks and increased risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and tooth decay. Click HERE to view/share a sample letter to the newly appointed Director of the CDC, Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald.
4) Build relationships with public health advocates across local, regional, national, and global platforms.
5) Protect youth by educating them on the truth about soda and sugary drinks so they can make an informed decision to choose health over a path to chronic disease.
6) Think SODA TAX. It is working in Mexico. Click HERE to read on the Mexico soda tax.
7) Celebrate health as an unalienable human rite. Commit to increasing our efforts to protect low income communities and developing nations from preventable chronic diseases.
In the spirit of this celebration, we invite you to download, share, and reproduce our posters, coloring pages, and music to promote health in your community. Click HERE to explore the Operation: #DEFEATSODATRON digital toolkit.
In our journey towards health equity, social justice, and universal health; we wish you peace, love, and strength.
Dr. Kevin Strong and the Dunk the Junk crew